If you are looking for ways to watch live TV on your laptop, computer, smartphone or tablet, there are many options. It can be very convenient to take live television with you when you’re traveling. For those looking to have an easily portable way to watch live TV, these USB devices and portable antennas are quite simple to install and small enough to fit in your pocket. There are several devices that can be plugged into a computer, tablet or phone that allow you to see live TV stations in your area. Let’s take a look at some of these options.
Watch Live TV
Live TV on an iPhone Device
Escort Mobile Digital TV for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
With the Escort Mobile Digital TV receiver, you can watch live TV from your mobile device. You can catch live TV on your iPhone or iPad. You will be limited to the local broadcast signals in your area. The device comes with an easy to install an app that allows you to scan for stations. You can also select, pause and resume up to ten minutes of Live TV. The nice part is you don’t need a data plan to use it.
- Miniature digital TV receiver
- Built-in rechargeable battery
- Special airwaves reserved for TV and do not tap your data plan
- No 3G/4G, Wi-Fi or data plan required
- Works with free iDTV USA app (available from the Apple App Store)
- Access major network TV with Dyle mobile TV coverage
- Easy to set up
- Small antenna
Where to Buy:
Live TV on an Android Device
Android Digital ATSC TV Tuner Receiver For Tablet Smartphone (DT-120)
This Android Digital Tuner allows you to watch live over the air TV on your Android phone. Works well depending on your broadcast area. You can rewind and fast forward live TV shows using time shifting recording. This device lets you record TV shows instantly and store the recorded video files on your mobile device for convenient playback later. Has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) function for users to view TV broadcast information for current and upcoming programming. Comes with two flexible antenna hookups, you can use the MCX type mini antenna or RF adapter for a hookup with a regular home antenna. Nice little device.
- ATSC tuner module
- Rope style antenna
- Mini DTV antenna
- Hanger clip
- Suction cup for desktop stand
- RF adapter
- Easy to install
- Not chargeable
Where to Buy:
USB HDTV Antenna Devices
These devices plug right into your computers USB port and give you free over the air channels. They are quite small and portable. Great way to watch or record your TV shows.
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q USB TV Tuner
The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q USB TV Tuner is a nice little device that is easy to install. Just plug into an available USB port and attach the included portable antenna. Then install the software and drivers and before you know it you’re watching live TV. It comes with the free Titan TV online listing service that allows you to record live TV to your computers hard drive and schedule recordings. Once installed, it was pretty easy to scan for channels. The quality is great and so are the controls. Make sure to go online and download the latest software and drivers to get the best performance out of this device. You may want to consider buying a larger antenna to receive more HD channels. It’s a terrific TV tuner for your PC. The Hauppauge TV tuner also works well for making a PVR recording server for Kodi.
- ATSC HD
- Plugs into your USB port
- Comes with WinTV-Scheduler, so you can record your favorite TV programs daily, weekly or once.
- Portable digital TV antenna is included
- Record ATSC digital TV programs to your PC’s hard disk using high quality MPEG-2
- Clear QAM digital TV tuner built-in
- Watch, pause and record clear QAM cable TV channels
- Windows Media Center compatible
- Easy to setup
- Nice recordings
- Good quality
- Remote could be better
Where to Buy:
AVerMedia AVerTV Volar Hybrid Q USB TV Tuner
The AVerTV Volar Hybrid USB TV Tuner is another quality way to watch live TV on your computer. It has a very sensitive tuner with an excellent signal meter. This USB tuner includes a telescoping rabbit ear antenna. The antenna has a clip that allows for mounting on a laptop screen. This device is a good alternative if you don’t have a traditional TV and can live with watching all of your local channels on your computer. The software is filled with useful features and allows for stable recording. It is easy to use and intuitive with low processor loading on a computer and the picture quality is excellent. Also works with Andriod TV.
- OTA channel through ATSC
- Listen to OTA FM Radio from your PC
- DVR support allows you to access recordings with a click of a button
- PC recording video formats support both iOS and Android, or share with your friends on social media
- Supports Android TV 7.0 and above with LiveTV app
- PIP (Picture in Picture) Function
- Smart Channel Grouping
- Time Shift
- Scheduled Recording
- Closed Caption
- Electronic Program Guide
- Mini antenna Included
- Easy setup
- Good software
- Device runs a little hot
Where to Buy:
- Watch free over-the-air broadcast TV on your Xbox One monitor
- Pause live TV and stream live TV around your home with the Xbox SmartGlass application.
- One Guide integration will display local TV listings
- Connects easily to your Xbox One via USB
Where to Buy:
Feature image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
With any of these devices, taking TV on the go has become so easy. Just fire up your laptop, tablet or smartphone and plug in the antenna. These USB tuner sticks are also great for building your own home media center DVR to record your favorite shows.