Kodi is a robust media software that allows you to watch and stream offline and online content. If you’re not comfortable making your own Kodi box, there are many options that allow you to buy an Android box loaded with Kodi already installed. These Android boxes are equipped with the latest hardware and software, allowing Kodi and it’s addons to run at optimal performance. If you are familiar with Kodi, you can also customize your own Android box. There are many Kodi Android boxes on the market and it can become quite confusing. In this article, we will compare some of the best fully loaded Kodi / XBMC boxes as well as basic Kodi boxes. This article is updated periodically to reflect the most current Kodi boxes.
Types of Kodi Boxes
We have broken down this article into fully loaded Kodi boxes and basic Kodi boxes.
Fully Loaded Kodi Boxes
Fully loaded Kodi boxes are Android boxes that come with many popular Kodi add-ons* already installed. There is no need to install and maintain Kodi add-ons and system updates. These streaming boxes have an online update option and customer support that keep these boxes running smoothly.
Basic Kodi Boxes
Basic Kodi boxes give the flexibility to create your own custom Kodi box. A basic Kodi Android box is equipped with optimal hardware and software to run Kodi. Most of these boxes ship with Kodi pre-installed. Then you customize and install the add-ons, any way you want. Kodi is a free open source software, that can be loaded onto just about any operating system. Kodi is also easily installed for free from the Google app store.
*Many of the popular Kodi add-ons are developed by 3rd party developers and are not supported or maintained by the Kodi team.
The boxes listed in this article are quite good. One shortcoming with many of these Kodi boxes is a decent remote. You may want to consider upgrading to a more user-friendly and functional remote or wireless mouse. With all of these boxes, to get the full online streaming experience, you should have an internet connection of at least 10 MB.
All of these Kodi Android boxes will allow you to install any app from the Google Play Store. In addition to using Kodi, you can still enjoy all of the other streaming apps available for the Android operating system. Sling TV, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video or any other Android streaming app can be installed on these boxes. Here are the Kodi boxes we recommend.
The Best Fully Loaded Kodi Streaming Media Boxes
SkyStream Three Plus Android TV Box
The SkyStream Three Plus Android TV Box is an excellent Kodi streaming box. This is a great Kodi box for people who are not tech-savvy and unfamiliar with Kodi. It comes with an easy to follow quick start guide. The user interface is simple and easy to use. The SkyStream Three Plus uses the fast AMLogic S905X2 quad-core processor at speeds of up to 2.0 GHz and runs on the Android 8.1 Oreo OS. This box is capable of streaming 4k content. This Android box also has great Wifi capabilities allowing you to stream efficiently over a wireless network. Running Kodi is simple with its handy SkyStream update option, it will keep Kodi add-ons, firmware and the system updated with a click of the remote. This Android box will also allow you to install any app from the Google play store. This box works with Google assistant which will allow you to control the box with your voice. You can install all of your favorite games and streaming apps. It has a sleek and easy to use interface. If you are looking for an all in one streaming box that is easy to use and setup, this is the box for you.
- CPU: AMLogic S905X2 quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0 GHz
- GPU: Mali-G31 – A55 ARM Cortex 650 MHz delivering 1.3 Gpix/s
- DRAM: 4GB DDR3
- Flash Memory: 64GB
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Operating System: Android 8.1 Oreo
- LAN: RJ-45 10/100/1000 GigaPort Ethernet
- WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi 2.4 GHz
- Host USB: 2 x External Ports – 1 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0
- SD Card: 1 x External Port (Mini SD)
- Video Output: HDMI 2.0a output with HDR, AV port (composite)
- Audio Output: Dolby Digital via HDMI & SPDIF (Optical Audio)
- Video Resolution:
- Video Resolution: Up to 4k x 2k, 3D-HD(1080Px2), 1080P, 720P, 480P
- Video Formats: VP9 Profile-2 up to 4K 60fps, 10-bit H.265 up to 4K 60fps, AVS2-P2 up to 4K 60fps, H.264/AVC up to 4K 30fps, H.264 MVC up to 1080p60, MPEG-4 ASP up to 1080p60
- Video Codecs: MPEG, MPE, MPG, M2V, ISO, TS, VOB, DAT, AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV, 3GP, 3GPP, FLC, WMV, FLV, RM
- Video Subtitles: SRT, SUB, IDX, PGS
- Audio Codecs: ACC, AC-3, ADPCM, AMR-NB, MIDI, MP2, MP3, MS-ADPCM, PCS, RV40 Vorbis WMA, AAC+ (HE-AAC vi), eAAC+ (HE-AAC v2)
- Length x Width x Height: 5” x 5” x 1.25”
What You Get:
- SkyStream Three Plus Streaming Media Player
- Power Adapter
- SkyStream Remote Control
- HDMI Cable
- SkyStream Quick Start Guide & Manual
- Easy setup
- Simple user interface
- Auto-update feature for Kodi
- Good customer support
- Works in any country
- Poor Remote (Upgrade to the Airmouse package)
Where to Buy:
The SkyStream Three Plus is available for purchase at these retailers:
Basic Kodi Android Boxes
The Android boxes listed below are not fully loaded. Most of these boxes come with Kodi pre-installed and then you install the add-ons. In some cases, it is preferable to install the add-ons and customize the Kodi box to your liking. There are many resources online on how to install them. You should consider upgrading Kodi to the latest version, depending on which version comes loaded on the box. All of these boxes are excellent Kodi Android boxes.
Pendoo X10 Plus
The Pendoo X10 Plus is a solid Kodi box. It has the Amlogic S905X2 Quad Core Cortex A53 2.0GHz 64bit CPU and an ARM Dvalin MP2 GPU. It also boasts 32 GB of internal storage and 4 GB of ram. The operating interface is very user-friendly. The HD output on the Pendoo X10 Plus has excellent resolution, allowing for 2k and 4k playback. You can install apps and games from the Google Play Store. The install guide provided is more detailed than most and there live customer support is available to assist you if needed. Turn any TV into a smart TV and enjoy truly unlimited options and completely customize your HD viewing experience.
- CPU: Amlogic S905X2 Quad Core ARM Cor tex A53 @2GHzG
- GPU: ARM Dvalin MP2 GPU
- RAM: 4G LPDDR4
- ROM: 32G EMMC
- WiFi: 2.4/5.8GHz IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- LAN: Ethernet:10/100/ 1000M, standard RJ-45
- Bluetooth: BT 4.1; Support Voice Remote
- Power Supply: DC 5V 2A (Input:100-240v / Output:5v)
- Android 8.1 OS
- Very fast
- Good tech support
- Smooth streaming
- Remote could be better
Where to Buy:
The Pendoo X10 Plus is available for purchase at these retailers:
MINIX NEO U9
This is a blazing Kodi box. The Minix NEO U9 has pretty much all of the features you could ever want in a TV media box. The hardware is some of the best available for an android box. On many levels, it is comparable to the Nvidia Sheild. Kodi runs flawlessly and quickly, there are apps for almost anything you could want. The Metro user interface which comes standard with the NEO U9 is much easier to work with than the stock Android user interface. This box also has firmware updates to stay up to date with new improvements and features. The NEO U9 has excellent wireless coverage and range. If you want a set-top box that will do just about everything and do it acceptably well, get the Minix NEO U9.
- Amlogic S912-H ARM Cortex A53 Octa-Core CPU
- Mali-820MP3 GPU
- Memory 2GB DDR3
- Internal Storage 16GB eMMC
- Wireless Connectivity 802.11ac 2 x 2 MIMO Dual-Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5.0GHz)
- HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60Hz (10-bit 4:2:0)
- Bluetooth 4.1
- OS Android 6
- Video Output HDMI 2.0, up to 4K @ 60fps
- Audio Output HDMI 2.0, 3.5mm stereo jack, optical SPDIF
- Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000Mbps)
- SD/MMC card reader (SD 3.0, MMC V4.41), Support HDMI-CEC
- USB 2.0 port x 3, OTG port x 1
- Microphone jack, Headphone jack, IR receiver (remote included)
- Supported Video Format DAT/MPEG/MPE/MPG/TS/TP/VOB/ISO/AVI/MP4/MOV/3GV/FLV
- Supported Audio Format DD/DD+/MP2/MP3/WMA/WAV/OGG/OGA/FLAC/ALAC/APE/AAC
- 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass-through over HDMI
- DD+/DTS (pass-through)
- Minix A2 Lite Air Mouse Included
- Multi-OS Support: Windows, Mac OS X, Android and Linux
- Interface extremely responsive
- Supports 4K playback
- Excellent WiFi capabilities
- Gigabit Ethernet
Where to Buy:
The Minix NEO U9 is available for purchase at these retailers:
Q-Box Amlogic S905 Smart Media Box
The Q-Box S905 is a solid Kodi box. It has an Amlogic s905 quad-core Cortex A53 2.0GHz CPU and the Mali 450 Penta-Core graphics processor which allows for 4K resolution and 1080p streaming. This box comes loaded with the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop OS. It also boasts 16 GB of internal storage. The remote and operating interface is very user-friendly. This Kodi box has excellent WiFi reception. You can install apps and games from the Google Play Store. The Q-Box is an extremely fast Android box, from playing back content and boot up. This is a great box for Kodi and all of your other streaming apps.
- Amlogic s905 quad-core Cortex A53 2.0GHz CPU
- Mali 450 Penta-Core Graphics Processor Unit
- Android 5.1 Lollipop Operating System
- 2GB RAM
- 16GB Internal Memory
- Dual-channel WIFI 2.4GHz/5.0GHz 802.11ac
- HDMI: H.265 H.264 HEVC Hardware Decoding Dolby and DTS4K and 2K, 2160P
- LAN: 10/100/1000 RJ-45
- Bluetooth 4.0
- SD Card Port (up to 32GB extendable storage)
- 2 USB 2.0 ports
- Optical output
- Miracast DLNA Airplay support
- Very fast
- Smooth streaming
- Supports other android apps
- Good remote
- The light around box is bright
Where to Buy:
The Q-Box is available for purchase at these retailers:
Popular Streaming Boxes That Will Also Run Kodi:
Each one of these streaming boxes listed below will run Kodi with a simple manual install. It is a popular choice for those wanting to use conventional streaming boxes. This way you get the best of both worlds. A conventional streaming box with all the popular apps and Kodi.
Amazon Fire TV Stick
The Amazon Fire TV Stick will run Kodi with a simple manual install. For the complete guide on how to install Kodi on an Amazon Fire TV click here. Kodi runs excellent on an Amazon Fire Stick. I personally have two with Kodi installed and it runs great. It’s an inexpensive way to run Kodi and also have all the added features of the Fire TV.
The NVIDIA SHIELD can run Kodi extremely well. It is a powerful system that is 3x faster than Apple TV, 4x faster than Fire TV, and 10x faster than Roku 4. Kodi and the SHIELD are a perfect match. Kodi has a helpful guide on how to install the software.
Kodi can also run on the Xbox One. It runs very efficiently. Installing Kodi is as simple as going to the Xbox app store. Then search for Kodi and install.
More Kodi Articles You May Like:
Combine Your Kodi Box With an HD Antenna
Combine an HD antenna with a Kodi box. The lasted televisions have built-in digital tuners, which allow you to receive free broadcast television. Just plug in an HD antenna into your television and get free over the air stations. Click on the logo’s below to see what free stations are in your area.
As you can see, all of these boxes have something to offer. The pros outweigh the cons. With all of these devices, you should familiarize yourself with Kodi before buying one. Kodi has some optional features that with a little know-how you can unlock all of its powerful streaming capabilities. If you need help learning Kodi please check out my post on how to setup Kodi. I hope you will enjoy watching media content with any of these Kodi / XBMC streaming media boxes.